I've been hearing more and more about the concept of "souping" lately, where folks go about trying to cleanse their bodies by eating nothing but soups for a set period of time. Word on the internet is that souping is the new juicing. Going on a juice cleanse was never something I would even remotely consider (let's be real... I would not be pleasant if subjected to eating nothing but liquid for days on end, and I honestly don't think that's a healthy thing to do to your body). Souping, on the other hand, is something I could definitely get behind!
Our bodies need whole foods, and plenty of fiber. While vegetable juice can be great for getting a massive amount of micronutrients into our bodies, we need the rest of the veggies to fully nourish ourselves! Plus, soups made with wholesome broths allow us to pack in a whole new level of nutrients!
I was inspired to make this soup after reading about a similar one on Pinch of Yum. Of course I had made potato soups and I had even made kale focused soups (hello greens!) but I couldn't imagine how I had never thought to combine the two! The potatoes give this soup a level of heartiness that is hard to reach when you're focusing solely on the greens, and the kale adds an oomph of nutritional power along with that beautiful color!
The result is a satisfyingly creamy soup that is totally good for you, and sure to please just about everybody! This is the type of dish that would open someone's eyes to trying kale if they might not otherwise be open to it. While my food tastes are pretty wide, I still hold to my guns when it comes to a commitment to making vegetables delicious. I know they're good for me, but we'll never change anyone's mind about actually eating plenty of them unless we make them awesomely satisfying!
So make yourself a big pot of this hearty soup! Serve some for dinner tonight, and pack the rest away in the fridge or the freezer for one of those nights when you just don't want to spend any time in the kitchen!
If you're in need of adding a bit of protein and making this a totally complete meal, might I suggest tossing in some crumbled and sauted Italian Seitan from Upton's Naturals! The flavors match wonderfully, and you'll be feeling even more satisfied after the meal!
Herbed Potato Kale Soup
4 Tbsp butter (or bacon grease!)
1 medium onion, diced
6 medium potatoes, cubed
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 cups kale, roughly chopped (or more!)
8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups whole milk
salt & pepper to taste
optional: Italian or other flavored Seitan, crumbled and sauted
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt the butter then add the onions and potatoes along with a dash of salt and pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic, and continue to cook and occasionally stir until the onions start to brown just a bit (a few additional minutes).
- Add the rosemary, fennel, kale, and broth to the pot, and give it a stir to incorporate everything. Let the soup cook for about 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
- Using an immersion blender (or pouring the mixture into your regular blender), blend the mixture until it is super smooth.
- Add the milk, and any additional water or broth if you'd like the soup a little thinner. Return the soup to a gentle simmer, then serve.
- Optionally stir a bit of cream into each serving if you like your soups on the creamier side, and toss in some sauted seitan for protein.